Some Geek's Movie Blog

Movies. With a geeky twist.

Sunday, November 21

Why Can't We Be Friends?

Well, I've finally had a chance to go and see a movie. Bridget Jones: the Edge of Reason, actually. At first I thought to myself, 'self, what a perfect opportunity to spend a few hours talking about how lovely Colin Firth is! Perfectly lovely.' but then I realized that if I were to spend a few hours talking about how lovely Colin Firth is, my prof has to, at the very least, skim this come semester's end, and he might not entirely appreciate a long diatribe about Colin Firth and his lovely wet shirts, and might then seek revenge upon me, and that would be no good.

So, then I thought to myself, 'self,' I thought, 'what else does Bridget Jones inspire us to talk about for a little while?' To which I replied, 'well, I could certainly complain about being single for a few hours at least.' But that presented the same problems. Also, as I hadn't been chucked in a Turkish prison, my singledom didn't seem to quite measure up to Bridget's problems.

Next I asked myself whether other people have such involved inner dialogue. I avoided the subject completely, though, and distracted myself by deciding that instead of talking about Bridget Jones: the Edge of Reason (which was a decent enough film -- more or less a rehash of the first picture with more naughty words thrown in for flavour), I've decided that the natural progression after talking about favourite actors, and then favourite death scenes, is to talk about favourite fight scenes.

And as it so happens, two of my favourite fight scenes happen to occur in Bridget Jones's Diary and in Bridget Jones: the Edge of Reason. Near everyone has likely seen the fight scene between Colin Firth and Hugh Grant in the first Bridget Jones film, which deserves mention just because It's Raining Men is playing in the background. Really superb stuff. As it happens, the fight scene is the only thing that really stands out to me as something they've improved from first to second movie; the fight scene in the second movie is absolutely brilliant. Watching Colin Firth and Hugh Grant nancing about and trying every now and then to kick one another will always make my day. Hugh Grant yelling, "you're pulling my hair!" will also live forever in my memory. Best of all is the music this time as well; I Believe In a Thing Called Love by the Darkness. Of course, the fact that Colin Firth ends up soaked in a fountain has nothing to do with my love for this fight scene. No.

The massive puppet vs puppet vs Tim Curry fight scene from the end of Muppet Treasure Island also deserves mention. Probably one of the coolest pirate battles of all time (okay, Jack Sparrow vs Captain Barbosa in Pirates of the Carribean might be SLIGHTLY cooler, but that's because they're not just pirates, they're ZOMBIE pirates, so it's really not quite fair), there are few things funnier than five or six muppets and Jim Hawkins all standing up to Tim Curry, all wearing the same puffy shirt.

Those few things happen to be nearly any fight scene you can possibly name from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. King Arthur's fight against the Black Knight
(Black Knight: "Have at you."
Arthur: "You are indeed brave, sir knight, but the fight is mine."
Black Knight: "Oh, had enough, eh?"
Arthur: "Look, you stupid bastard. You've got no arms left!"
Black Knight: "Yes I have."
Arthur: "Look!"
Black Knight: "...Just a flesh wound."),
King Arthur and his knights being bombarded by live stock (and keen insults) by the French, and the gallant slaughter of wedding guests by Sir Lancelot are all among the most epic battle scenes of this, or any other age.

Of course, there are other fight scenes worth mention (Marvin vs the bump in the road in Pulp Fiction; the man in black vs Fezzik, Inigo and Vizzini in the Princess Bride; 1900 vs Jelly Roll Morton in the Legend of 1900 (piano duels so count); Remus Lupin vs Sirius Black in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (hee!); Toad vs a pidgeon in X-Men; and any one of the battle scenes in the Lord of the Rings trilogy though, obviously, the last one does sort of overshadow all the others, doesn't it? But really, after discussing such cinematic achievements as the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch vs the monster of the cave ("What, behind the rabbit?" "No! It IS the rabbit!"), why even bother?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home