Some Geek's Movie Blog

Movies. With a geeky twist.

Friday, October 29

The Movie Does the Talking: Adaptation

Well, as I've got a rather busy weekend ahead of me (very spooky term projects and horrifying research papers! How very Hallowe'en-y!), I've decided just to let the film do the talking. So here are some of my favourite quotes from Charlie (and Donald, hee!) Kaufman's Adaptation.

(Which, incidentally, is my third favourite movie of all time -- I'm sure you were all burning with curiousity. My favourite movie of all time being Muppet Treasure Island, followed closely by Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Harry Potter series are just impossible to categorize by such goofy means, and so rise above any favouritism I could express.)

Before we get to the quotes, a synopsis:

From IMDB.com: "Frequently cynical screenwriter Charlie Kaufman (played by Nicholas Cage) has just taken on a new assignment. That is, to adapt writer Susan Orlean's "The Orchid Thief" into a screenplay, all of it based on the life of the eccentric John Laroche, an exotic plant collector based out of Florida. While his easygoing twin brother Donald, is writing scripts with ease, Charlie finds himself on a perpetual struggle that never seems to end."

(So, not only is this movie brilliant and funny in it's own right, it's brilliant and funny because it's a screenplay about a screenwriter trying to write a screenplay. It's also brilliant and funny because Donald is often reading bits and pieces of a sort of "Screenplays for Dummies" handbook he's using to write his first screenplay, and the movie itself goes to great lengths to completely disregard everything Donald reads immediately after he reads it. Charlie Kaufman (the screenwriter, not the main character in this case -- confusing...) lays out the road map for us, and then makes a great point of completely ignoring it. Completely brilliant. And funny. Hee.)

(Just one more aside and then I'm done: yes, this will be rather spoilery. And if I could have, I would likely have included two thirds of the movie, so I've tried to be as selective as I'm able, and just chose bits which were particularly funny or poigniant to me -- as a result, a lot of the stuff I'm posting is Donald and Charlie talking about screenplays, which is likely because I (try to) write screenplays myself, so this sort of thing really strikes me. This isn't to say that the John Laroche/Susan Orleane thread of the movie isn't as wonderful or as funny. In short, this is just what I like about the movie. See it yourself -- there's much more than I could ever post.)

And now (finally, I know), the quotes.



DONALD

Yeah. Anyway. I pitched mom my screenplay --

CHARLIE

Don't say "pitch".

DONALD

Sorry. Anyway, she loved my... telling of my story to her. She said it's "Silence of the Lambs" meets "Psycho."

CHARLIE

Hey, maybe you and mom could collaborate. I hear she's really good with structure.

DONALD

You think you're so superior, Charles. Well, I'm really gonna write this. And you'll see. And, and... you suck, okay?

-----

DONALD

Look, you wanna hear my pitch, or what? [...] Hey, thanks a lot, man. Cool. [...] Okay, there's this serial killer, right --

Charlie groans, lies down, stares at the ceiling.

DONALD (CONT'D)

No, wait. See, he's being hunted by a cop. And he's taunting the cop, right? Sending clues who his next victim is. He's already holding her hostage in his creepy basement. So the cop gets obsessed with figuring out her identity, and in the process he falls in love with her. Even though he's never even met her. She becomes, like, the unattainable, like the Holy Grail.

CHARLIE

It's a little obvious, don't you think?

DONALD

Okay, but there's a twist. See, we find out the killer suffers from multiple personality disorder. Okay? See, he's really also the cop and the girl. All of them are him! Isn't that fucked-up?

Donald waits, proud.

CHARLIE

The only idea more overused than serial killers, is multiple personality. On top of that you explore the notion that cop and criminal are really two aspects of the same person. See every cop movie ever made for examples of this.

DONALD

Mom called it psychologically taut.

-----

CHARLIE

To begin... To begin... How to start? I'm hungry. I should get coffee. Coffee would help me think. Maybe I should write something first, then reward myself with coffee. Coffee and a muffin. So I need to establish the themes. Maybe a banana nut. That's a good muffin.

-----

DONALD

Anyway, listen, I meant to ask you, I need a cool way to kill people. Don't worry! For my script! Ha ha!

CHARLIE

I really don't write that kind of stuff.

DONALD

Oh, man, please. You're the genius.

Charlie stares at Donald, rubs his eyes, sighs.

CHARLIE

Here you go. The killer's a literature professor. He cuts off little chunks of his victim's bodies until they die. He calls himself "The Deconstructionist."

DONALD

That's kinda good. I like that.

CHARLIE

See, I was kidding, Donald.

DONALD

Oh, okay. Sorry. You got me! Ha-ha. Do you mind if I use it, though?

-----

DONALD

Charles, I'm putting a song in. Like when characters sing pop songs in their pajamas and dance around. I thought it might be a nice way to break the tension. So, try to think of a song about multiple personality. Hey, where you going?

-----

DONALD

I'm putting in a chase sequence now. The killer flees on horseback with the girl. The cop is after them on a motorcycle. It's like a battle between motors and horses. Like technology versus horses.

-----

DONALD

Also, I wanted to thank you for your idea. It was very helpful. I changed it a little. Now the killer cuts off body pieces and makes the victims eat them. It's, like, Caroline has this great tattoo of a snake swallowing it's tail and --

CHARLIE

Ourobouros.

DONALD

I don't know what that means.

CHARLIE

The snake is called Ourobouros.

DONALD

I don't think so. But, anyway, it's cool for my killer to have this modus operandi. Because at the end when he forces the woman, who's really him, to eat herself, he's also eating himself to death.

-----

CHARLIE

What if a writer is attempting to create a story where nothing much happens, where people don't change, they don't have any epiphanies. They struggle and are frustrated and nothing is resolved. More a reflection of the real world --

MCKEE

The real world? The real fucking world? First of all, if you write a screenplay without conflict or crisis, you'll bore your audience to tears. Secondly: Nothing happens in the world? Are you out of your fucking mind? People are murdered every day! There's genocide and war and corruption! Every fucking day somewhere in the world somebody sacrifices his life to save someone else! Every fucking day someone somewhere makes a conscious decision to destroy someone else! People find love! People lose it, for Christ's sake! A child watches her mother beaten to death on the steps of a church! Someone goes hungry! Somebody else betrays his best friend for a woman! If you can't find that stuff in life, then you, my friend, don't know much about life! And why the fuck are you taking up my precious two hours with your movie? I don't have any use for it! I don't have any bloody use for it!

CHARLIE

Okay, thanks.

-----

ORLEAN

[just a bit toasted now] I wish I were an ant. They're very shiny.

LAROCHE

You're shinier than any ant, darlin'.

ORLEAN

That's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me.

-----

CHARLIE

I wasted [my life]. I admire you, Donald, y'know? I spent my whole life paralyzed worrying what people think of me and you -- you're oblivious.

DONALD

I'm not oblivious.

CHARLIE

No, you don't understand. I say that as a compliment. I really do.
(beat)
There was this time in high school. I was watching you out the library window. You were talking to Sarah Marsh.

DONALD

Oh, God. I was so in love with her.

CHARLIE

I know. And you were flirting with her. And she was really sweet to you.

DONALD

I remember that.

CHARLIE

Then when you walked away, she started making fun of you with Kim Canetti. It was like they were laughing at me. You didn't know at all. You seemed so happy.

DONALD

I knew. I heard them.

CHARLIE

How come you looked so happy?

DONALD

I loved Sarah, Charles. It was mine, that love. I owned it. Even Sarah didn't have the right to take it away. I can love whoever I want.

CHARLIE

She thought you were pathetic.

DONALD

That was her business, not mine. You are what you love, not what loves you. That's what I decided a long time ago.

-----


See? Definitely the third best movie of all time. Yup.

5 Comments:

  • At November 3, 2004 at 5:18 p.m., Blogger LFK said…

    It's becoming apparent that the same thing has happened to your movie blog as has happened to mine: no one posts any comments. It really is unfortunate. We should stage some kind of scam in order to excite public horror, resulting in a deluge of posts.

     
  • At November 7, 2004 at 7:39 p.m., Blogger some geek said…

    While I am all for exciting public horror, I have to say that it is rather freeing having no one post comments on your blog.

    No longer must I fear that I am amusing only to myself! It's somewhat assured at this point. But that's all right. I'm quite over the initial "LOVE ME! LOVE MY BLOG! VALIDATE MY EXISTENCE!" stage, and have moved on to the "my God I'm such a wit" stage, which is much more fulfilling.

    I should likely apologize though -- while you've made the effort to comment on my blog, I've only read yours and wondered if I had anything intelligent enough to post (the overwhelming answer: not usually). Mayhaps once I've finally taken my intro to film study class next semester I'll feel educated enough to say something other than "yes, Tom Cruise's hair is funny." (I seem to think a lot of people's hair is funny...)

     
  • At July 20, 2006 at 4:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work!
    [url=http://jqzrlxvp.com/ygof/ktcq.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://xgcpliuz.com/hryn/rlhr.html]Cool site[/url]

     
  • At July 20, 2006 at 4:08 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At July 20, 2006 at 4:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you!
    http://jqzrlxvp.com/ygof/ktcq.html | http://vmmmilgs.com/eyev/zcsw.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home