Some Geek's Movie Blog

Movies. With a geeky twist.

Sunday, November 7

A Propensity Towards Partiality

As this week once again finds me in want of the proper time and energy to write anything posessed of even the remotest hint of wit (well, that and since my dear readers have all gone into hiding, I feel much more comfortable with being terribly amusing to me and me alone), instead of finding yourselves with the sarcastic talk of films we've all come to love, I instead intend to provide you with random musings on that most strange of beasts, the "favourite actor".

What is the "favourite actor"? Certainly, this is a thorny question. Asking anyone of the female persuasion warrents the answer not be entirely trusted. While I'm sure most of us would very much like to give you an answer based entirely upon the acting talent posessed of our "favourite actor", this is simply not possible. Even we impartial movie critics (ahem) cannot help but be swayed by the occassional British accent, lovely hazel eyes, or those "come shag me" looks certain British celebrities with hazel eyes keep giving us through the screen. Ahem.

In fact, generally, in our accumulation of "favourite actors" you will find that "one of these things is not like the others" -- in an effort to even out our little clutch of celebrities, we attempt to find one actor without the British accent and the lovely hazel eyes to prove that thespian talents have certainly not been overlooked in the face of... well, lovely hazel eyes.

In my particular case, John Cleese, John Hurt, and sometimes Nicholas Cage (who has earned himself a very rare spot in my assemblage, being an American, through such films as Adaptation and Matchstick Men) occupy this spot. I find none of them particularly attractive, but all three are prone to make me giggle. I also thought that Cleese as Tim, the Enchanter in Monty Python and the Holy Grail was first rate acting.

These "substitutions" are often especially easy to pick out, as they do not follow the theme presented. Most women, girls, ladies and otherwise female personages have distinct theme running through their lovely clump of gentlemen, or so is my experience. Sometimes, there are two or three themes. Take, for example, the mention I made that Nicholas Cage's presence on my list is somewhat thematically incorrect, as he is not British. This is one of the most simple examples, and sometimes themes can be very detailed. Ie, British, over fourty, with hazel or possibly green eyes, who have (at one time or another) worn a wig of some kind. Very, very specific. So, when you find a British actor over fourty who has worn a wig but has blue or brown eyes, you are entitled to be suspicious that that's the substitute.

This is not to say that our "favourite actors" are decided upon hazel eyes alone. But it is, as I have said, a thorny subject, as (I believe five paragraphs is enough -- let's finally get to the point, shall we?) what makes an actor your "favourite"? While perhaps it would be much more fair to base this on talent alone, well... what is talent? Do awards earned decide who has the most talent? Salary? Box-office draw? In the end, what these all come down to (and what all "favourites" come down to) is enjoyment.

If you enjoy potatoes, then potatoes are your favourite food. It's not because potatoes are a culinary masterpiece, or that they've won numerous awards from French people and other persons who take food very seriously, or that they're particularly good for you. Potatoes are my favourite food because I enjoy the taste.

In the same way, my "favourite actors" are my favourites because I enjoy watching them. Do I enjoy watching them because they're British and have lovely hazel eyes? Yes. But do I also enjoy them because they're really spectacular talents? Well, sometimes.

So, I suppose my point is, British people are prettier and are better actors than everyone else. Yes, that should do.

(Incidentally, my favourite actors are Tim Roth, Gary Oldman (yes, DESPITE his blue eyes, I can forgive him that), Alan Rickman, John Cleese, John Hurt, Nicholas Cage, and, though neither of them are over fourty, and though Dom has blue/grey eyes, I can forgive them both, because they are delightfully short and one of them wears a kilt, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan.

Also, everyone seems to love these "what's your favourite" sorts of things, so, as always, feel free to tell me who're your favourite actors and why. Hurrah!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home